I didn't want to, but . . .

Thursday, October 9, 2008

I'm really trying not to post about the election. As it is, I read a couple of articles a day about it, when I should be working, and I watch a little CNN, etc when I go home, in addition, to listening to the Brian Lehrer show on NY public radio (after the Steve Harvey Morning show), and I KNOW its all too much. But since the theme of this blog is whatever I'm thinking about, it is what is. So here we go, in no particular order.

From the VP debate until now I've been thinking about a few things. . . Like who's "Joe six-pack"? And do I really want my government to speak and behave like "Joe 6-pack" on the global stage? Nope. Note to Gov. Palin: our borders are shrinking and gone are the days of isolationism. Is is too much to ask for a government where the leaders are in touch with all varieties of Americans AND be capable of communicating and keep the respect of international heads of state.

I've also been thinking about how I want my leaders to read a variety of publications and journals to know what's going on at home and abroad. . .its not enough just to read what's put in front of you. I've been working since I was 14 years old (summer jobs count, right?) and I never had a boss not have a newspaper with them, in addition to a subscription to a trade journal (I know this because my first jobs were administrative/data entry and I would flip through the stuff). Of course, I'm certain my college professors maintained a subscription to newspapers, journals, etc. Even some of the graduate teaching assistants would copy certain articles and distribute them in class. I say all that to say, I would expect a governor, who is purportedly concerned about Russia, to be able to talk about what she has read, or reads, to keep up with what's going on around the world. I don't think that's an unfair question. Back to Joe Six-Pack. . .Maybe that's what the folksy talk and winking was about? I love the folksy talk about as much as I love text language in regular email - which is to say, I can barely understand it and its aggravating as hell.

Maybe it's just me, but after she's finished going through her memorized talking points, I never know what she's talking about. I'm always left with that "Huh?" feeling.

Before the debate Cindy McCain released some sort of statement about how this is the nastiest campaign that she has ever witnessed or something. When I heard that, during the pre-debate talk, I couldn't believe my ears. I mean, was she really taking a stand against her husband and his puppet? Did she completely forget about her husband's attempt at the presidency in 2000, when Karl Rove & Co. ripped him a new one? I do think planting seeds of doubt i.e. whispering about Senator Obama being a muslim (which I guess would disqualify you from being the President), and talks about him "palling around with a domestic terrorist" is a little nasty and desparate. I don't know, its just weird to hear her say that. Finally, was it just me or did you have to look up from whatever blog you were reading when Senator McCain said "That one". I dismissed it because I wasn't fully paying attention at the time whilst dowloading music for my blog and looking at hsn.com. Anyway, when I got confirmation that McCain did say "That One" . . . .I thought, "Man, this ol'dude is crazy, for real!"

Folks, we have to do better.

0 comments: to “ I didn't want to, but . . . so far...