Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lately, I've been thinking about how I really need to get quiet. I don't run my mouth all of the time. . . in fact, I think most people would say that I'm not all that talkative (just moderately talkative). By "getting quiet" I mean I really, really, want quiet reflective time. I feel like I have a lot I need to do, and a lot I want to do. So even when I'm not working (which feels like all the time) my brain is going a mile a minute reviewing all the crap I need and want to do.
I'm a list person. I love lists, even better, I love outlines. For example, if there is something I need to do (beyond mundane tasks, i.e.laundry, go to cleaners, etc) I actually like to right it down and then use Roman numerals, capital letters and lower case letters, and numbers detailing how I'm going get the task done. A little obsessive maybe, but that's me (plus, not every task requires so many steps, but I will go there if necessary). In addition, I'm the type of person who treasures alone time. I like being with friends, talking on the phone, going here, going there, BUT I always need to carve out me time. My problem now, is that during my alone time I'm finding it hard to be alone with my own thoughts. I don't like it. I have to get it together. Because at the rate I'm going . . . I don't know, I just need to do something. I really need to get clear.

To that end, while at work I'll occassionally listen to Joel Osteen or another minister. I love NYPR and NPR and all, but sometimes all that housing crunch, crisis in Georgia, elementary school test scores talk can be draining. So I'll take an inspirational vitamin while I work, and man does it help me get through the day. On Monday I was listening to a sermon by TD Jakes called "Keep Reaching" and it was just what I needed to hear. The following are the main points:

1. Reach toward a deeper relationship with God.
2. Reach for His fruit (fruits of the spirit) in your character.
3. Reach for His promise(s)inspite of your problems.
4. Reach for stability in every area of your life.
5. Reach for good ground to sow in (sowing your time, energy, money).

That sermon was for me!

1 comments: to “ so far...