Movie talk

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Whoa! Its been a long time since I've posted anything . . .not that I've been devoid of random thoughts, its just that I've been busy. So busy, that I was remiss in posting something about "The Dark Knight". And I only remembered that I wanted to post something about "The Dark Knight", after going to see "Tropic Thunder" (I know, totally different movies but just go with it ;)

Anyway, I'll start by saying "The Dark Knight" is the best movie I've seen all year. As soon as I heard there would be a sequel to "Batman Begins" I was excited since I thought that movie was outstanding and way better than those other Batman attempts (in fact, I couldn't even sit through those films). The story, the acting, everything - simply fantastic. I have to admit when I first heard Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker I was a little skeptical. Having only seen him in "Ten Things I Hate About You" and "The Patriot" (I think I saw, "Brokeback Mountain" after he was cast in DK), I thought he was a decent enough actor. I mean, alot of those actors the entertainment shows and magazines try to covince us are "hot", are just so so or downright terrible (for i.e. He seems like a nice young man, but I can't for the life of me figure out how Orlando Bloom continues to get roles). So my hopes we're not high. I just couldn't think of Heath Ledger as a crazed criminal.
Its alittle too late to critique the movie, and I'm no movie critic anyway, but I'll just say this - Heath Ledger blew me away. He was unbelievable! All the hype and praise for his performance was well deserved. At the risk of sounding to mushy, I was little sad that someone in my peer group, someone who had actual talent, is no more.
. . .On a lighter note, Tropic Thunder was hilarious! Now the first time I heard about this film, specifically the fact that Robert Downey Jr. Would be playing a black man, my first thought was "Oh Lord . . .where's the petition I need to sign, what products do I need to boycott, and have white people completely lost their minds trying bring back blackface?!?!" Thank goodness the character and the point of the movie was revealed before the film opening, or I would've missed a thoroughly funny film. Who knew Robert Downey Jr. would be the funniest character (in my opinon) with co-stars like Ben Stiller and that nut Jack Black? How on earth did he channel a black man?

Maybe Ill start posting movie and book reviews. You know, all analytical and stuff. . .to show off my critical thinking skills. This post was just to get me back into the swing of things, especially since I just realized that I had/have at least one reader besides my pal Kayla:)
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments: to “ Movie talk so far...

  •  

    I posted about the Dark Knight in my Movies section when I saw it, but I had a different take than everyone else.

    I could not get over the hotness of Christian Bale, seriously. A few people I know disagreed with me on the effectiveness of Batman's voice, but I loved it.

    Keep up with the writing. You never know where it'll take you.

    TZA

  •  

    I LOVED the voice. And yes, while watching it I thought he sounded a little like Clint Eastwood, but it worked for me.

    And I loved the hotness that is Christian Bale! I guess, I was so impressed with Heath's performance because I truly didn't think he could pull it off, and I thought folks were making a lot of noise about it because it was his last performance.